This blog aims to read and interact with biblical texts in a queer way, but many others have gone before me. This is a bibliography of queer books and articles related to Christian and Jewish interpretation, theology, ministry, and liturgy. In the future, I hope to read and interact with these authors as well as ancient ones. In addition, I would like to make this as exhaustive as possible, so I plan to sort it by topic and add more sources as I discover them. Comments are welcome, and I hope this bibliography is helpful.
- Wood, Robert Watson. Christ and the Homosexual: Some Observations. New York: Vantage Press.
- Perry, Troy, with Charles L. Lucas. The Lord Is My Shepherd and He Knows I’m Gay. Los Angeles: Nash Publishing.
- Gearhart, Sally Miller, and William Reagan Johnson. Loving Women/Loving Men; Gay Liberation and the Church. San Francisco: Glide Publications.
- McNeill, John J. The Church and the Homosexual. Kansas City, KS: Sheed Andrews and McMeel.
- Macourt, Malcolm. Towards a Theology of Gay Liberation. London: SCM.
- Horner, Tom. Jonathan Loved David: Homosexuality in Biblical Times. Philadelphia: Westminster Press.
Scanzoni, Letha, and Virginia R. Mollenkott. Is the Homosexual My Neighbor?: A Positive Christian Response. (Updated and revised in 1994.)
- Boswell, John. Christianity, Social Tolerance, and Homosexuality: Gay People in Western Europe from the Beginning of the Christian Era to the Fourteenth Century. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- Fortunato, John E. Embracing the Exile: Healing Journeys of Gay Christians. San Francisco: Harper & Row.
- Edwards, George R. Gay/Lesbian Liberation: A Biblical Perspective. New York: Pilgrim Press.
Countryman, Louis William. Dirt, Greed, and Sex: Sexual Ethics in the New Testament and Their Implications for Today. (Revised in 2007.) McNeill, John J. Taking a Chance on God.(Rereleased with new preface in 1996.)
- Spong, John Shelby. Living in Sin?: A Bishop Rethinks Human Sexuality. San Francisco: Harper & Row.
- Clark, J. Michael. A Place to Start: Toward an Unapologetic Gay Liberation Theology. Dallas: Monument Press.
- Heyward, Carter. Speaking of Christ: A Lesbian Feminist Voice. Edited by Ellen C. Davis. New York, N.Y.: Pilgrim Press.
- Clark, J. Michael. A Defiant Celebration: Theological Ethics & Gay Sexuality. Garland, TX: Tangelwüld Press.
- Glaser, Chris. Come Home!: Reclaiming Spirituality and Community As Gay Men and Lesbians. Gaithersburg, Md: Chi Rho Press.
- Glaser, Chris. Coming Out to God: Prayers for Lesbians and Gay Men, Their Families and Friends. Louisville, Ky: Westminster/John Knox Press.
- Clark, J. Michael. “Men’s Studies, Feminist Theology, and Gay Male Sexuality.” Journal of Men’s Studies 1.2.
- O’Neill, Craig, and Kathleen Ritter. Coming Out Within: Stages of Spiritual Awakening for Lesbians and Gay Men. San Francisco, CA: HarperSanFrancisco.
- Stuart, Elizabeth. Daring to Speak Love’s Name: A Gay and Lesbian Prayer Book. London: Hamish Hamilton.
- Clark, J. Michael. Beyond Our Ghettos: Gay Theology in Ecological Perspective. Cleveland, Ohio: Pilgrim Press.
- Comstock, Gary David. Gay Theology Without Apology. Eugene, OR: Wipf & Stock.
- Goss, Robert. Jesus Acted Up: A Gay and Lesbian Manifesto. San Francisco: HarperSanFrancisco.
Helminiak, Daniel A. What the Bible Really Says About Homosexuality. (Updated in 2000.)
- Nelson, James B., and Sandra P. Longfellow, editors. Sexuality and the Sacred: Sources for Theological Reflection. 1st ed. Louisville, KY: Westminster/John Knox Press.
- Scanzoni, Letha, and Virginia R. Mollenkott. Is the Homosexual My Neighbor?: A Positive Christian Response. Revised and updated. San Francisco: HarperSanFrancisco.
- White, Mel. Stranger at the Gate: To Be Gay and Christian in America. New York: Plume.
- Boswell, John. Same-Sex Unions in Premodern Europe. New York: Vintage Books.
- Cherry, Kittredge, and Zalmon O. Sherwood. Equal Rites: Lesbian and Gay Worship, Ceremonies, and Celebrations. Louisville, KY: Westminster/John Knox Press.
- Cleaver, Richard. Know My Name: A Gay Liberation Theology. Louisville, KY: Westminster John Knox Press.
- Bouldrey, Brian. Wrestling with the Angel: Faith and Religion in the Lives of Gay Men. New York: Riverhead Books.
- Stuart, Elizabeth. Just Good Friends: Towards a Lesbian and Gay Theology of Relationships. London: Mowbray.
Wilson, Nancy L. Our Tribe: Queer Folks, God, Jesus, and the Bible.(Updated and revised in 2000.)
- Alexander, Marilyn Bennett, and James Preston. We Were Baptized Too: Claiming God’s Grace for Lesbians and Gays. Louisville, Ky: Westminster John Knox Press.
- McNeill, John J. Taking a Chance on God: Liberating Theology for Gays, Lesbians, and Their Lovers, Families, and Friends (With a New Preface). Boston: Beacon Press.
- Stone, Ken. Sex, Honor and Power in the Deuteronomistic History. Sheffield, Eng: JSOT Press.
- Comstock, Gary David, and Susan E. Henking. Que(e)rying Religion: A Critical Anthology. New York: Continuum.
- Jordan, Mark D. The Invention of Sodomy in Christian Theology. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- Stuart, Elizabeth, and Andy Braunston. Religion Is a Queer Thing: A Guide to the Christian Faith for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgendered People. Cleveland, Ohio: Pilgrim Press.
- Glaser, Chris. Coming Out As Sacrament. Louisville, Ky: Westminster John Knox Press.
- Rudy, Kathy. Sex and the Church: Gender, Homosexuality and the Transformation of Christian Ethics. MA 02108: Beacon Press.
- Rogers, Eugene F. Sexuality and the Christian Body: Their Way into the Triune God. Oxford: Blackwell.
- Wink, Walter, editor. Homosexuality and Christian Faith: Questions of Conscience for the Churches. Minneapolis, MN: Augsburg Fortress.
- Althaus-Reid, Marcella. Indecent Theology: Theological Perversions in Sex, Gender and Politics. London: Routledge.
- Goss, Robert, and Mona West, editors. Take Back the Word: A Queer Reading of the Bible. Cleveland, Ohio: Pilgrim Press.
- Hanks, Tom. The Subversive Gospel: A New Testament Commentary of Liberation. Cleveland, Ohio: Pilgrim Press.
- Helminiak, Daniel A. What the Bible Really Says About Homosexuality: Millennium Edition, Updated and Expanded. Tajique, NM: Alamo Square Press.
- Wilson, Nancy L. Our Tribe: Queer Folks, God, Jesus, and the Bible. Updated and revised edition. Tajique, NM: Alamo Square Press.
- Alison, James. Faith Beyond Resentment: Fragments Catholic and Gay. New York: Crossroad Pub. Co.
- Moore, Stephen D. God’s Beauty Parlor: And Other Queer Spaces in and Around the Bible. Stanford, CA: Stanford University Press.
- Sheridan, Vanessa. Crossing Over: Liberating the Transgendered Christian. Cleveland, Ohio: Pilgrim Press.
- Stone, Ken, editor. Queer Commentary and the Hebrew Bible. Cleveland, OH: Pilgrim Press.
- Duncan, Geoffrey. Courage to Love: Liturgies for the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Community. Cleveland: Pilgrim Press.
- Goss, Robert. Queering Christ: Beyond Jesus Acted Up. Cleveland, Ohio: Pilgrim Press.
- Miner, Jeff, and John Tyler Connoley. The Children Are Free: Reexamining the Biblical Evidence on Same-sex Relationships. Indianapolis: LifeJourney Press.
- Storey, William George. A Book of Prayer for Gay and Lesbian Christians. New York: Crossroad Pub.
- Alison, James. On Being Liked. New York: Crossroad Pub.
- Moore, Gareth. A Question of Truth: Christianity and Homosexuality. London: Continuum.
- Althaus-Reid, Marcella. The Queer God. London: Routledge.
- Comstock, Gary David. Unrepentant, Self-Affirming, Practicing: Lesbian/Bisexual/Gay People Within Organized Religion. New York: Continuum.
- Jennings, Theodore W. The Man Jesus Loved: Homoerotic Narratives from the New Testament. Cleveland: Pilgrim Press.
- Stuart, Elizabeth. Gay and Lesbian Theologies: Repetitions with Critical Difference. Aldershot, Hampshire, England: Ashgate.
- Tanis, Justin Edward. Trans-Gendered: Theology, Ministry, and Communities of Faith. Cleveland, Ohio: Pilgrim Press.
- Via, Dan Otto, and Robert A. J. Gagnon. Homosexuality and the Bible: Two Views. Minneapolis: Fortress Press.
- Althaus-Reid, Marcella, and Lisa Isherwood. The Sexual Theologian: Essays on Sex, God and Politics. London: T & T Clark International.
- Boisvert, Donald L. Sanctity and Male Desire: A Gay Reading of Saints. Cleveland: Pilgrim Press.
- Carden, Michael. Sodomy: A History of a Christian Biblical Myth. London: Equinox Pub.
- Marshall, Paul Victor. Same-Sex Unions: Stories and Rites. New York: Church Pub.
- Noort, Edward, and Eibert J. C. Tigchelaar. Sodom’s Sin: Genesis 18-19 and Its Interpretation. Leiden: Brill.
- Stone, Ken. Practicing Safer Texts: Food, Sex and Bible in Queer Perspective. London: T & T Clark International.
- Tigert, Leanne McCall, and Maren C. Tirabassi. Transgendering Faith: Identity, Sexuality, and Spirituality. Cleveland, Ohio: Pilgrim Press.
- Coulton, Nicholas. The Bible, the Church and Homosexuality. London: Darton, Longman & Todd.
- Jennings, Theodore W. Jacob’s Wound: Homoerotic Narrative in the Literature of Ancient Israel. New York: Continuum.
- Jordan, Mark D. Blessing Same-Sex Unions: The Perils of Queer Romance and the Confusions of Christian Marriage. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- Alison, James. Undergoing God: Dispatches from the Scene of a Break-In. New York: Continuum.
- Althaus-Reid, Marcella, editor. Liberation Theology and Sexuality. Hampshire, England: Ashgate Publishing Limited.
- Guest, Deryn, Mona West, Robert E. Goss, and Thomas Bohache, editors. The Queer Bible Commentary. London: SCM.
- Isherwood, Lisa. The Power of Erotic Celibacy: Queering Heteropatriarchy. London: T & T Clark.
- Jordan, Mark D., Meghan T. Sweeney, and David M. Mellott, editors. Authorizing Marriage?: Canon, Tradition, and Critique in the Blessing of Same-Sex Unions. Princeton, N.J.: Princeton University Press.
- Martin, Dale B. Sex and the Single Savior: Gender and Sexuality in Biblical Interpretation. Louisville, KY: Westminster John Knox Press.
- Rogers, Jack Bartlett. Jesus, the Bible, and Homosexuality: Explode the Myths, Heal the Church. Louisville, Ky: Westminster John Knox Press.
- Balch, David L. Homosexuality, Science, and the “Plain Sense” of Scripture. Wipf & Stock Pub.
- Countryman, Louis William. Dirt, Greed, and Sex: Sexual Ethics in the New Testament and Their Implications for Today: Revised Edition. Philadelphia: Fortress Press.
- Haldeman, S. “A Queer Fidelity: Reinventing Christian Marriage.” Theology and Sexuality 13.2: 137–52.
- Kundtz, David, and Bernard Sloan Schlager. Ministry Among God’s Queer Folk: LGBT Pastoral Care. Cleveland: Pilgrim Press.
- Loughlin, Gerard, editor. Queer Theology: Rethinking the Western Body. Malden, Mass: Blackwell Pub.
- Mollenkott, Virginia R. Omnigender: A Trans-Religious Approach. Cleveland: Pilgrim Press.
- Nyland, Ann. Study New Testament for Lesbians, Gays, Bi, and Transgender: With Extensive Notes on Greek Word Meaning and Context. Uralla, N.S.W.: Smith and Stirling.
- Chellew-Hodge, Candace. Bulletproof Faith: A Spiritual Survival Guide for Gay and Lesbian Christians. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
- Karslake, Daniel, Helen Mendoza, and Nancy Kennedy. For the Bible Tells Me So. New York: First Run Features. (film)
- De La Torre, Miguel A., editor. Out of the Shadows into the Light: Christianity and Homosexuality. St. Louis, Mo: Chalice Press.
- Drinkwater, Gregg, Joshua Lesser, and David Shneer. Torah Queeries: Weekly Commentaries on the Hebrew Bible. New York: New York University Press.
- Glaser, Chris. As My Own Soul: The Blessing of Same-Gender Marriage. New York: Seabury Books.
- Isherwood, Lisa, and Marcella Althaus-Reid. Trans/Formations. Controversies in Contextual Theology Series. London: SC.
- McNeill, John J. Freedom, Glorious Freedom: The Spiritual Journey to the Fullness of Life for Gays, Lesbians, and Everybody Else. Maple Shade, NJ: Lethe Press.
- Patterson, Linda J. Hate Thy Neighbor: How the Bible is Misused to Condemn Homosexuality. West Conshohocken, PA: Infinity.
- Clark, J. Michael. Defying the Darkness: Gay Theology in the Shadows. San Jose, CA: Resource Publications.
- Dzmura, Noach. Balancing on the Mechitza: Transgender in Jewish Community. Berkeley, Calif: North Atlantic Books.
- Ellison, Marvin Mahan, and Kelly Brown Douglas, editors. Sexuality and the Sacred: Sources for Theological Reflection. 2nd ed. Louisville, KY: Westminster John Knox Press.
- Isherwood, Lisa, and Mark D. Jordan, editors. Dancing Theology in Fetish Boots: Essays in Honour of Marcella Althaus-Reid. London: SCM Press.
- Kamitsuka, Margaret D. The Embrace of Eros: Bodies, Desires, and Sexuality in Christianity. Minneapolis, MN: Fortress Press.
- Ramer, Andrew. Queering the Text: Biblical, Medieval, and Modern Jewish Stories. Maple Shade, NJ: Lethe Press.
- Tigert, Leanne McCall, and Maren C. Tirabassi. All Whom God Has Joined: Resources for Clergy and Same-Gender Loving Couples. Cleveland, Ohio: Pilgrim Press.
- Cheng, Patrick S. Radical Love: An Introduction to Queer Theology. New York: Seabury Books.
- Heacock, Anthony. Jonathan Loved David: Manly Love in the Bible and the Hermeneutics of Sex. Sheffield, England: Sheffield Phoenix Press.
- Hornsby, Teresa J., and Ken Stone. Bible Trouble: Queer Reading at the Boundaries of Biblical Scholarship. Atlanta: Society of Biblical Literature.
- Jordan, Mark D. Recruiting Young Love: How Christians Talk About Homosexuality. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- Knust, Jennifer Wright. Unprotected Texts: The Bible’s Surprising Contradictions About Sex and Desire. New York: HarperOne.
- Macwilliam, Stuart. Queer Theory and the Prophetic Marriage Metaphor in the Hebrew Bible. Sheffield, U.K.: Equinox.
- Michaelson, Jay. God vs. Gay?: The Religious Case for Equality. Boston: Beacon Press.
- Sharpe, Keith. The Gay Gospels: Good News for LGBT People. Winchester, UK: O-Books.
- Sphero, M.W. The Gay Faith: Christ, Scripture, and Sexuality. New Orleans: Herms Press.
- Boisvert, Donald L., and Jay Emerson Johnson. Queer Religion. Santa Barbara, CA: Praeger.
- Cornwall, Susannah. Controversies in Queer Theology. Controversies in Contextual Theology Series. London: SCM.
- Cheng, Patrick S. From Sin to Amazing Grace: Discovering the Queer Christ. New York: Seabury Books.